The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance Programme offers very good graduates from developing countries the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political, and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
The most important selection criteria for DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance
• Higher education degree obtained with above-average results (top third of graduates)
• Language certificates (requirements vary depending on the respective course of study)
• Political and/or social involvement (see above ‘Target group’) is considered an advantage
• Evidence of internships and/or professional experience is also taken into account positively
• A conclusive account of the applicant’s academic and personal motivation for the study endeavor in Germany and for choosing and prioritizing the courses of study
• An account of the applicant’s perspectives upon returning to their home country or region
The following groups are not eligible:
• Applicants who obtained their most recent higher education degree more than six years before submitting their application.
• Applicants who have resided in a country that is not included in the DAC list of developing and emerging countries for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline.
All Master courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 861 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany, appropriate travel allowance, a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
Prior to their study programmes, all scholarship holders will also receive a 6- monthly German language course.
Please submit your applications for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD). You must indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). The application period at all 8 universities lasts from 1 June – 31 July 2021.
It is important to read the 2022 Announcement and visit the official website (found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Programs participating in the host institution:
Scholarships are given for selected master courses in the German Higher Education Institute listed below:
• Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: MA Analysis and Design of Social Protection System (Blended-Learning)
• University of Duisburg-Essen: MA development and governance
• Willy Brandt School of Public at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
• Universität Magdeburg: Study of Peace and Conflict (MA)
• Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in a non-profit organization
• Universität Passau: Development Study (MA)
• University of Passau: Masters in Governance and Public Policy
• University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)